GST Evasion Scandal Unveiled: Cases Totaling Rs 13,794 Crore Detected in Haryana, National Tally Hits Rs 1.51 Lakh Crore
A staggering Goods and Services Tax (GST) evasion scandal has come to light, with cases amounting to Rs 13,794 crore detected in Haryana alone during the current financial year up to October. Union Minister of Finance Sushil Kumar Modi revealed the shocking figures in the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday, disclosing the national extent of the issue, with total GST evasion cases across the country reaching Rs 1.51 lakh crore.
Regional Breakdown of GST Evasion
- Haryana: Rs 13,794 crore
- Punjab: Rs 481 crore
- Himachal Pradesh: Rs 169 crore
- UT Chandigarh: Rs 145 crore
- Total GST evasion cases detected in the country: Rs 1.51 lakh crore
- Union Minister Modi provides insight into the scale of the issue, emphasizing the need for stringent measures.
- Authorities in Haryana have managed to recover Rs 2,908 crore in GST evasion cases up to October.
- Punjab: Rs 145 crore recovered
- Himachal Pradesh: Rs 52 crore recovered
- UT Chandigarh: Rs 89 crore recovered
- A detailed breakdown of the recovery efforts in each region showcases the challenges faced by authorities.
Arrests and Enforcement Actions
- Haryana: 18 accused arrested in GST evasion cases
- Punjab: 3 accused arrested
- Himachal Pradesh: No arrests reported
- UT Chandigarh: No arrests reported
- The number of arrests highlights the ongoing efforts to hold perpetrators accountable.
Show Cause Notices to Online Gaming Companies
- Union Minister Modi also informed the Rajya Sabha about 71 show cause notices issued to online gaming companies.
- The notices involve GST to the tune of Rs 1.12 lakh crore during the financial year 2022-23 and 2023-24 up to October.
The revelation of GST evasion cases totaling Rs 13,794 crore in Haryana and a national tally of Rs 1.51 lakh crore underscores the magnitude of the issue. The recovery efforts and arrests signal a concerted attempt by authorities to combat fraudulent activities. Additionally, the issuance of show cause notices to online gaming companies emphasizes the government's commitment to tackling GST-related irregularities across various sectors. The ongoing developments call for a comprehensive and robust approach to safeguard the integrity of the GST system.